Wednesday, April 27, 2005

physical duties

Well, I guess I have to learn a Cuban accent. I am terrible at accents, can't even fake a passable British one. I guess my Southerner is okay, but it's a nondescript Western sort of accent like the one some television cowboy would use while he shoots up a bunch of injins. Real southerners, their accents are specific, precise, numerous. I just got a lazy drawl.
I've always entertained my family with my ability to recite lines from movies. I love doing Steve Martin and Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. That movie slays me. But the reason I'm good at this, I think, is that I have a great ear for inflection. The reason I'm bad at accents is that I don't have a good ear for intonation. Maybe I just need to practice more.
Does anyone have any Cuban friends I can talk to? know of any Cuban movies? For the time being, I'm just going to have to get my hands on a copy of Scarface and start practicing all of Tony Montana's lines. It's a physical, comedic duty.
What are your physical duties?

3 Comments:

Blogger Squidnik said...

my physical duties is chick.
she's my love...extending even beyond the physical and into maddness.

maddness is my physical duty.
i caught mental koodies.

11:23 PM PDT  
Blogger Joshua said...

I like how zac lists mvp cards first.

my physical duties are getting my shit together as an artist right now.

cuban films, just order some off of amazon. I am sure they all star fidel castro though as some ramboesqe super hero.

11:26 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing research on Cuban accents for a film I'm auditioning for. Here are some films which may help: Predator 2; Colors; Extreme Prejudice; Running Man (Cuban-born Maria Conchita Alonzo stars), "I Love Lucy" (Desi Arnaz, who plays Ricky Ricardo is Cuban), Bananas (Woody Allen film about San Marcos, with authentic Latin Americans), Improper Conduct (documentary about Fidel Castro's regime through the Cuban Revolution; in Spanish with English narration and subtitles). Hope this helps! www.veronicaheffron.com

5:48 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home